Tuesday, March 3, 2009

In Rainbows

Woman 2/26/09

I’ve barely been at this blog thing for 4 months, and I think I’m getting soft. Either that or I’m seeing beauty in a whole new different way. Seriously. What people mock or find weird, I’m starting to like. It’s really the ones who follow the rules or try to hard to be someone else that I find out-of-place.

This girl is really on the fringes of what most would consider odd dressing. Only for me, it totally made sense.

Where do I start? How about the smallest item? She had on this broach. A spider shaped broach with gold plated spine, limbs and feelers, and a red ruby-esque stone where the body should be. Maybe it was a beetle, and not a spider. Pinned to the right lapel of her brown double-breasted winter coat.

The rest of her was color. The shoes were a pair of Diesel sneakers that were a light blue, with fuschia accents and yellow laces. Her glasses were these oval-ish frames that were multi-color; like a kaleidoscope or patchwork of mis-matched squares. Her gloves were black and pink striped, and fingerless. On her neck was a mutli-color scarf – reminded me of something Kanye West might sport. She must be a Yeezy fan.

There were a couple things I didn’t quite get though. She was wearing these purple sweatpants, which looked a bit loose on her. I’m going to give her the benefit of the doubt, but the color was definitely her style. And sticking out from her coat sleeves were the sleeves of this mini-polka dot pattern – black and white. Not sure if that was a sweater but the color totally threw me off. The chocolate winter brown coat is fine, but black and white seems a bit too stark for her. Maybe there was a more interesting pattern beyond the sleeves?

In truth, the entire outfit really only worked for me because of her hair. It was this fierce 60’s style pouf that was equal part The Supremes and Kelis. Seriously, this girl knew that she was rocking something totally different and it was part of her identity. She dressed like she had a point-of-view.

Even her iPod was attached to these magenta-cabled earphones. These wires lead to a pair of over-ear headphones that were a slight metallic blue. You can’t tell me that was a coincidence.

I wonder what she was listening to?

1 comment:

  1. OMG, cant believe i am writing another comment...
    i m touched with your opening paragraph here, because once you see beauty in another way or in another view, that means you change, i cant judge if changing is a good thing for you, but whoever knows how to appreciate beauty in a different way, he/she is the beautiful person.
    who set up rules anyway, we determine our own rules and nobody should follow it, at least thats my thinking.

    ReplyDelete